Minimum Qualifications For Deputy Sheriff in Montana
All public safety officer positions have minimum requirements established by Montana law and the Montana Public Safety Officer Standards and Training (POST) Council.
- must be a citizen of the United States
- must be at least 18 years of age
- must be fingerprinted and subject to a background check to disclose any criminal records
- may not have been convicted of a crime for which he or she could have been imprisoned in a federal or state penitentiary
- must be of good moral character, as determined by a thorough background investigation
- must be a high school graduate or have passed the general education development test and have been issued an equivalency certificate by the superintendent of public instruction, an appropriate issuing agency, another state or the federal government
- must meet any additional qualifications established by the POST Council
In addition, Montana law requires that individuals seeking employment as peace officers – deputy sheriffs, undersheriffs, police officers, highway patrol officers, fish and game wardens, park rangers, campus security officers or airport police officers – have a medical exam conducted by a licensed physician appointed by the employing agency.
Once you are employed as a public safety officer, you have one year from the date of your initial appointment to attend the appropriate Basic course at the Montana Law Enforcement Academy.
As of this time, we are not hiring full time Deputies, but we are always looking for qualified applicants for Reserve Deputy positions.